lilwitch asked: in regards to harry potter and the thinks you would talk to jk about, just curious how long is your list and could you maybe tell a few things that's on it. thanks
I HAVE SO MANY THING I WANT TO ASK TAKE A SEAT, HAVE SOME CUPCAKES, WE’LL BE HERE AWHILE
- Why does the Wizarding World not have a democracy system?
- Seriously, can you explain to me why wizards do not use normal paper and pens??
- Do they use them in other countries, or is it just Britain where they’re really backwards?
- How much do wizards know about the human body and things such as physics? Do they bother learning these things?
- How important is chemistry to wizards?
- Do wizards even really know about the elements or is the periodic table antiquated in comparison to whatever wizarding chemists use?
- Do wizards have different names for certain elements?
- Were many of the groundbreaking scientists of the muggle world actually wizards?
- Do wizards understand things like radioactivity and electrical currents and molecular science?
- Do wizards study things like the laws of physics or genetics or evolution?
- Are there wizards that work with muggle scientists to better understand the world because wizarding science is lacking
- What about wizards and biology and geology? Surely they need to know biology for Care of Magical Creatures?
- I know wizards study astronomy but does it just involve telescopes for them? How much do wizards know about outer space and the universe outside of planetary alignment and constellations?
- Are wizardborn kids basically expected to have their full life’s vocabulary and spelling/math/life skills by the time they hit Hogwarts at age 11?
- Are they supposed to continue to be homeschooled during their summer?
- Why aren’t there maths and spelling lessons at Hogwarts? Or are there maths and spelling and such classes?
- Does Hogwarts have elective classes like languages or wizarding literature or wizarding art?
- Are there wizarding colleges and institutes for wizards that want to study literature or languages or art or design? Maybe in other countries?
- Are muggleborns gradually filling up positions at the Ministry of Magic and other such companies and employers due to their extra education? (PENS) Do Muggleborns in the wizarding workplace bring in muggle methods to the office to make their work more efficient? LIKE USING PENS GOSH How much of what muggleborns bring into wizarding environments is picked up on by wizardborns? Do the stuck-up pureblood families like the Malfoys resent the fact that muggleborns are dominating the workplace and complain about it in a fashion not unlike the whole “Goddamn Immigrants Stealing Our Jobs” thing Does this drive them further into the stubborn old ways of quills and robes and candles?
- How do wizarding households keep their food fresh? Do they use ice boxes? Are there charmed cabinets to keep the milk cold? Are there refrigerators? HOW?????
- Do wizarding houses generally look different than muggle houses?
- Do wizards ever move into muggle-built houses?
- WHY DON’T ELECTIRCAL COMPANIES GET SUSPICIOUS THAT THESE HOUSES AREN’T USING ELECTRICITY?
- Do all wizards use potions and ingredients as medicine for everything or does aspirin have a place in a wizarding medicine cabinet?
- Are there wizarding grocery stores?
- So where does the wizarding world stand on mental illnesses? This has been brought up so many times by different people, but I really want to know. Do they recognise mental illnesses? Is there stigma surrounding mental illnesses? Do they have potions and spells to treat depression, do they have counsellors? Is this treatment free?
- If dementors are a metaphor for depression, does that mean casting a patronus is a form of treating depression? Do kids with depression find it easier or harder to produce patronuses?
- Some other sports are mentioned in Quidditch Through the Ages, but I want to know more. Do they have sports that aren’t just played on broomsticks? How come there aren’t more obese wizards?
- I want to know more about how the Second Wizarding War affected the characters.
- I want to know about Andromeda Black falling in love with Ted Tonks
- Where do wizards stand on things such as gender? Do they accept trans wizards/witches?
- Are there legal procedures where wizards can change their gender? What about potions and spells to change their physical genitalia?
- What about sexual orientation? Are wizards accepting of this or not? Is gay marriage legal in the Wizarding World?
- What about disabilities in the Wizarding world? What magic has been developed to help disabled wizards? Magical wheelchairs? Spells to help avoid over-stimulation in autistic wizards?
- What about sign language? Do wizards use sign language?
- How exactly does Ollivander remember every wand he’s sold?
- Has the ministry not realised how shit the Trace is? Why has no one come up with a better way of tracking underage magic?
- Why has no one protested against the use of House Elves before?
- How common are muggleborns and squibs? How does wizard genetics even work? IS ANYONE STUDYING THIS SHIT???
- What about wizards and witches of different religions who go to Hogwarts? Do they get to have feasts for their religious festivals too?
- WHO WAS DORCAS MEADOWES AND WHY DID VOLDEMORT KILL HER PERSONALLY?
- Is there an actual reason as to why magical creatures are described as magical and hidden from muggles? Because if muggles had not been hidden from them, they would have just accepted the creatures as strange and fascinating
- Why do they not study things such as music at Hogwarts if they want to? How do they get singers and bands in the Wizarding World if the main wizarding school doesn’t teach music?
- Are there magical musical instruments?
- How common are wizarding concerts?
- So I get that they can’t use phones, so is using fire to communicate with each other (Flooing like Sirius and Harry do) like the equivalent of phoning? So why is this not more common? Why don’t Hogwarts students floo-phone their parents?
- What about sex education in the Wizarding world/at Hogwarts? Contraceptive spells and morning-after potions??
- WHY IS THERE NO REGULATION ON LOVE POTIONS?
- WHAT ABOUT RAPE CAUSED BY LOVE POTIONS WHICH IS ESSENTIALLY A DATE RAPE DRUG?
- WHAT ABOUT ABORTIONS? CAN YOU GET ABORTIONS IN THE WIZARDING WORLD OR IS IT REALLY TABOO?
- Why is there no Wizard university? Surely there’s more magic to learn than is learnt at Hogwarts?
- I MUST KNOW ABOUT WIZARDING CULTURES IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, WHAT ABOUT ASIAN CULTURES AND NATIVE AMERICAN WIZARDING CULTURES AND INUIT CULTURES AND AUSTRALIAN CULTURES
- Did the Wizarding community take part in gross things in history such as colonialism?
- Is there racism in the Wizarding world?
- Do the different brands of magic factor into the abundant racism in America? Like, is Native American magic thought of as crude by white wizards, and do white wizards appropriate certain incantations and such in offensive ways?
- The spells taught at Hogwarts are all Latin-based. Are they based on other languages in different parts of the world? (Mandarin based spells in China, Hindu based spells in India)
- Why do Wizards take cats/owls/toads to school? Okay I get the owl, but why the cat and toad? Toad’s are bloody useless, and cats are cute and good pets, but if cats are allowed why not rabbits? Why not dogs?
- The mirror Sirius gave to Harry…. WHY ARE THESE MIRRORS NOT COMMON IN THE REST OF THE WIZARDING WORLD??
- WHEN DID LILY AND JAMES GET TOGETHER?
- WHEN DID THEY FIRST KISS?
- What was Remus doing before he got a job at Hogwarts? (Between the Potters dying and PoA)
- What about laws against child abuse and things in the Wizarding World? (Cause Neville being dangled out of a window and being nearly drowned on another occasion seems pretty dodgy to me ALSO SIRIUS’ HOME LIFE AND SITUATION, WHY DID NO ONE AT THE MINISTRY BE LIKE OH THIS WIZARDING FAMILY SEEMS LIKE IT’S ABUSING IT’S KID)
- I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ALL THE OTHER WIZARDING SCHOOLS
- Why the fuck is everything so dangerous in the Wizarding World? (The Triwizard tournament, Quidditch)
- Why is there only one team for each Hogwarts house? It seems unfair to me, since the chances of someone getting on are pretty slim.
- What about wizards who live in Scotland? Do they have to travel to London to take the train back to Scotland to go to Hogwarts?
- wHAT ABOUT RELIGION? Are there any Christian wizards or do they think Jesus was a wizard or do they just not believe it? Does their view of the Bible change because of them being wizards? Do they celebrate things like Christmas because of Christianity or is it because of pagan festivals?
- Is there a Wizarding Welfare system?
- What about St Mungos? Is it free to be treated there or do you have to pay?
- WHY THE FUCK WAS SIRIUS ALLOWED TO GO TO AZKABAN WITHOUT A TRIAL??? WTF IS WRONG WITH THE WIZARDING JUSTICE SYSTEM
- WHY IS AZKABAN THE ONLY WIZARDING PRISON? WHY ARE PEOPLE BEING SENT TO THE DEMENTORS FOR STEALING APPLES?
- Let’s face it, the House system is pretty messed up. That’s not even a question, I’m just saying
- Why are there no state schools for wizards to go to before they’re 11?
- Is there something like the UN for wizards? Why did no other country come and help when Voldemort was taking over?
- How do the Salem Witch Trials fit in with American magical culture?
- WHAT ABOUT CURRENCY AND MONEY?
- Is there a way of paying with cheques for really expensive stuff, or do you have to have a cart of galleons or something?
- How common is wizards being friends with muggles?
- Why are there no regulations on memory charms and memory modification?
- Are galleons the universal currency for wizards, or just for the UK?
- If wizards are fairly rare and there aren’t that many in the UK, what about tiny countries? Would they have like 3 wizards in?
- PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT WIZARDING TATTOOS? THEY CAN MOVE RIGHT YES OKAY
- DO YOU GET HOMELESS WIZARDS?
- DO WIZARDS KNOW ABOUT SHAKESPEARE AND C.S LEWIS AND LORD OF THE RINGS?
- HOW COMMON ARE FANTASY BOOKS WRITTEN BY WIZARDING AUTHORS
- WHAT IF YOU’RE A WIZARD WHO’S A VEGAN, HOW DO YOU DO POTIONS AND WOULD THEY USE WANDS SINCE THEY HAVE DRAGON HEARTSTRINGS/UNICORN TAIL HAIRS ETC
- WHAT ABOUT TAXES? HOW MUCH IS WIZARDING TAX?
- WHAT ABOUT CALLING THE POLICE??? HOW DOES THIS WORK? IS THERE A WIZARDING POLICE OR IS IT JUST THE AURORS?
- CAN CREATURES LIKE CENTAURS AND GOBLINS BECOME ANIMAGI??
- CAN YOU LEARN TO CHANGE YOUR PATRONUS OR ANIMAGI??
I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS UNIVERSE AND IT’S JUST A DUMB BOOK BUT IT’S NOT GAH
I have asked so many of these questions to myself over the years.
Sherlock season 3 trailer
- John: I don't care how you did it
- Sherlock fandom: Hold the fuck up there john
- Benvolio: In love?
- Romeo: Out.
- Benvolio: Of love?
- Romeo: Out of her favor where I am in love.
- Benvolio: *looks into the camera like he's on The Office*
it pisses me off how writing doesn’t get people money unless they’re like jk rowling like writing books should be one of the highest paying jobs in the world that shit is hard
i bet that open heart surgeries are harder
Open heart surgeries can be taught. You can’t teach a person a world that no one else has created.
you won this time.
the-writers-ramblings asked: CAN WE TALK ABOUT MIDDLE EASTERN WITCHES AND WIZARDS THOUGH. AND HOW THEY'RE SPELLS WOULD OBVIOUSLY NOT BE LATIN, GREEK OR ANGLO SAXON, BUT INSTEAD LIKE ANCIENT PHOENICIAN, OR SOMETHING. AND THAT THEIR TIES BETWEEN SPELLS AND MAGIC WOULD BE STRONGER SINCE THEIR WORDS ARE MORE ANCIENT AND FAR OLDER SO THEY'D BE WAY MORE POWERFUL???? SORRY FOR THE CAPS?????
NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR CAPS. PHOENICIAN SPELLS. ARAMAIC SPELLS. LANGUAGES MUGGLES DON’T KNOW ANYMORE THAT HAVE BEEN PRESERVED THROUGH WIZARDING SPELLS IN LITTLE POCKETS OF THE WORLD. SOURCE LANGUAGES NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO ADAPT OR CHANGE ANYMORE BECAUSE THE LANGUAGES HAVE DIED AND PEOPLE ARE AFRAID TO CAUSE LIKE, A NUCLEAR FALLOUT. IM SO EXCITED THANKS FOR THIS.
#WOOOOOO#literally all i wanna do is write a wizarding series set there#and to explore the prejudices of not only class difference and blood difference#but also religious differences and how that affects their magic#and instead of a ministry theres the monarchy#and djinn instead of ghosts#and just ARABIC FOLKLORE /throws rainbow sparkles/#im gonna die#harry potter#language#linguistics#ARAMIC SPELLSSSS#headcanon that bc they use the older/oldest languages middle eastern witches and wizards have no need for wands to channel their magic#bc it’s so pure and strong#ANOTHER HEaDCANON#pets allowed to be brought to school include and are not limited to: sphinxes. fennec foxes. golems.#desert wolves too#basically go big or go home with school pets (the-writers-ramblings)
Witches in secret pockets of Morocco who’ve been casting spells with ancient spices long before wands came about. Warlocks in Egypt who knew the double, magical, meaning behind hieroglyphics. A dead language? Latin and Ancient Greek have NOTHING on hieroglyphs. The veritable cacophany of ideas and spells and magic that the trading routes brought in. The Phoenecians with their many-striped sailboats proudly displayed Persian potion ingredients alongside spelled fishing nets woven by Palestinian wizards. Syrian magical folk meet Greek ones, and realize they can best communicate in the Ancient Greek all serious magical students learn. Curly heads bent over ancient spellbooks, and people stare as they converse in a language not spoken for hundreds of years.
Excuse you but can we not forget the jewish lore masters, poring over their tomes in hebrew and aramaic, preserved from their exiled homeland into the diaspora.
And the development of a syncretic magic in yiddish that mixes the subtle lore and subtle word power of the exiled levantines with the raw brute force of germanic magics. — how else did the golem?
DIASPORA SYNCRETIC MAGICS
jewish wizards offering house elves clothes in accordance with the slave laws
jewish wizards using golems as grunt labor
Yes to the Yiddish spells, too ;-)
Jewish wizards offering clothing to house elves and then constantly debating among themselves whether using a golem or other magically-created entity with some semblance of sentience for manual labor for years or decades is essentially the same thing as keeping a magical being for the same purpose.
See also: endless debates about whether one can use magic on Shabbat, and what sorts of magic qualify as “work”. Like, does it count if you enchant an object ahead of time?
Also debates over the extent to which Divination counts as the “witchcraft” detailed in the Tanach. Actually, I bet there’d be scholars compiling detailed tractates about which spells are kosher, using extensive biblical commentary.
JEWISH WIZARDS HAVING THEIR OWN EXTENDED TALMUD. HOW HAS THIS NEVER OCCURRED TO ME BEFORE??
Magic is a natural extension of the self; Therefore, one should be allowed to use magic on Shabbos. You might put restrictions on what kind of magic, and brewing potions (even ones that don’t require heat) and using wands…
I wrote a paper for a Harry Potter conference on foreign wizardry and how the systems of magic must have evolved to be completely separate entities that have very little in common. We’re only seen a TINY portion of the wizarding world and for the most part it’s Western European. I like to imagine Bill Weasley had to extensively train for cursebreaking in Egypt, because you can’t just waltz into a tomb, wave your wand, shout Latin and expect it to work.
I also love the idea of foreign magics being a bit wonky in a duel against each other because they’re not quite compatible. Like, it’s really hard to block a spell from a foreign wizard because you don’t understand exactly what you’re blocking against.
God, so many foreign wizard feels.